The race is on to offer Live TV! Facebook is already pitching the NFL to acquire the rights to a new Thursday Night Football digital package, and networks are beginning to create original content for Facebook Live. Facebook says audiences are watching increasing amounts of video on the platform, currently averaging 3 billion video views daily.
You can see the full article here for all the details, or skim the highlights below while we go purchase more Facebook stock.
- Facebook has been in meetings with a wide variety of TV executives over the past few weeks, sources said
- Facebook discussed the possibility of creating a skinny bundle of channels to deliver the programming to its 1 billion+ users
- A Facebook TV product could be the holy grail for both programmers and advertisers
- Currently, programmers know much less than their distribution partners about who’s watching TV
- With more specific viewer data, TV programmers could charge more for their show
E! is the first to create a show specifically tailored for Facebook Live. “Live From E!” launched a few days ago, and is shot entirely on an iPhone 6s. Other news organizations making similar moves are GMA, TMZ, ABC and MSNBC. E!’s live program will allow users to use Q&A via polls – an interactive video experience.
As always, for information on how these digital options, when available, can be integrated into your media strategy, please contact your Media Plus Media Strategist.